You are the type of person who reads technical data sheets and APIs just for fun.
You are someone who gets a sick pleasure out of coding and scripting.
You can look at a problem and quickly think of several ways to fix it on a scale of very evil to less evil.
You enjoy playing with cool new toys.
You have an active Github account, full of code that you are tinkering with.
You think of evil things to do to software developers who are lazy and make bad code.
You enjoy looking over a source control system and seeing all the code you’ve published.
You do the majority of your coding in a text based editor.
You find it annoying that a Debian / Ubuntu package wasn’t available so you packaged a program yourself. Bonus points if you packaged your own software that you wrote. Triple bonus points if you are a Debian / Ubuntu package maintainer.
We might be looking for you!
Bluecherry is seeking a well qualified applicant as a Linux Software Developer to join our team. The ideal candidate should have excellent communication skills with a strong background developing software applications under Linux. The candidate must be a competent developer, and have experience working in a group.
The candidate should also have extensive knowledge of Debian packaging. The position is full-time, and available as a telecommuting position.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
• Work with a team of developers on a Linux based surveillance application.
• Improve existing software and drivers.
• Provide user training, quality assurance, and support for our software.
• Be on call and work outside of normal business hours as necessary.
• Travel to Linux conferences
• Extensive knowledge of the Video4Linux2 and ALSA sound API
• Prior experience in Linux based software design / implementation
• Prior knowledge of Ubuntu, including building / maintaining Debian packages
• Prior experience with ffmpeg (specifically libav)
• Prior experience with RTSP (using libav)
• Prior experience with MYSQL.
• Prior experience with Matroska file containers and video encoding
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills
• Strong knowledge of C
• Previous work with and understanding of working with video / audio formatting / codecs including MPEG4 and H.264
• Internet and operating system security fundamentals
• Sharp analytical abilities and proven design skills
• Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive
• Demonstrated ability to achieve goals in a highly innovative and fast paced environment
Some of the software we use:
• Redmine (Bug / Feature tracking with GIT integration)
Information about Bluecherry:
Bluecherry LLC (www.bluecherrydvr.com) located in Fulton, MO is a leader in Linux video surveillance applications. We are a smaller company with quality developers with one goal: Make a video surveillance application that doesn’t suck. We have been supporting the Linux market since 2004 and near launch of version 2 of our Ubuntu based surveillance application. While our application is closed source, we support the open-source community by providing a GPL licensed MPEG-4 / H.264 driver.
• Fulltime employees receive paid vacation, retirement plan, sick time, full coverage health insurance. Dental / Vision plans are optional
Joel Test score: 11/12